Sydney Swans Players Referred to Police Amid Sexual Assault Investigation
POLICY WIRE — Sydney, Australia — Multiple players from the Sydney Swans Australian Football League (AFL) team have been referred to police as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations of...
POLICY WIRE — Sydney, Australia — Multiple players from the Sydney Swans Australian Football League (AFL) team have been referred to police as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual assault. The team’s CEO, expressing disappointment, declined to provide specific details regarding the nature of the incident or the number of players involved.
“We are cooperating fully with the authorities and will continue to support the investigation,” stated the Sydney Swans CEO in a brief press release. The CEO did not elaborate on the specifics of the incident, citing the ongoing nature of the police investigation.
Read our Editorial here: https://policy-wire.com/what-the-sydney-swans-scandal-should-tell-british-sport-about-standing-players-down/
The AFL has strict policies against any form of misconduct, particularly those involving criminal allegations. The league is expected to take decisive action pending the outcome of the police investigation. The identities of the players involved have not been disclosed to the public.
This development comes amid heightened scrutiny of athlete behavior across various sports globally. Recent high-profile cases have prompted sports organizations to reinforce their codes of conduct and disciplinary measures.
The Sydney Swans, one of Australia’s premier AFL teams, now face the challenge of managing both the investigation and its potential impact on team morale and public perception. The club has urged fans and media to respect the privacy of all parties involved until further information is available.
For more updates on this evolving story, stay tuned to Policy-Wire for the latest developments.

Updated: Sydney Swans investigated over alleged hotel sexual assault; club yet to confirm player stand-downs, but we have some names here exclusive on PW: 5 Sydney swans players are reportedly to be stepped down by the Sydney swans as early as tomorrow, we will update the names shortly, so please come back later in next 1 hour. Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been brought in for questioning by police over the alleged incident.
Updated: Police seek CCTV as Swans players probed over alleged assault
Victoria Police have asked the Pullman East Melbourne for CCTV footage as they investigate a reported sexual assault involving a group of Sydney Swans players.
A witness said plain-clothes detectives entered hotel rooms and left with evidence bags, and also requested footage from the lobby, stairs and lifts.
The alleged incident happened in the early hours of Monday, after the Swans beat Essendon at the MCG and stayed overnight at the hotel. The club says it’s “extremely shocked and disappointed.”
CEO Matthew Pavlich confirmed several players were involved in an alleged incident, said internal inquiries are underway, and declined to say whether anyone had been arrested.
Police say the circumstances are still being established and the investigation is ongoing.
Reporting by Policy-Wire (PW)
📖 GET YOUR FREE COPY NOW OF POLICY WIRE DIGITAL MAGAZINE JULY 2026 EDITION





